Splashed out on some new accessories from your favourite handmade jewellery store? Now you need to know exactly how to care for them to ensure your pieces last as long as they should. After all, you don’t want your gorgeous gemstones to become tarnished or damaged!
All the collections at Jewel Tree London are handcrafted with care and love. We want you to give your accessories the best possible care. So, follow our jewellery care tips to keep jewellery in the best condition.
How To Care For Handmade Jewellery
Understanding how to care for your handmade jewellery is simple with our straight-forward jewellery care guide.
We’re going to tell you how to clean your pieces, store them, and keep them in shipshape condition.
How To Clean Your Handmade Jewellery
You only need a few simple household essentials to clean your jewellery at home. A soft cotton cloth, a soft toothbrush, baking soda, and some drops of gentle washing up liquid mixed with tepid water.
Only use a soft cotton cloth to polish your gemstones. Anything that is rougher may scratch the jewels and leave a mark. That even includes tissue and kitchen roll. You can pick up a cotton cloth at your local supermarket. You can ask your jeweller for jewellery care tips specific to your choice of stone.
Follow These Steps To Clean Your Gold Jewellery:
- Mix a bowl of warm water and washing up liquid
- Drop the piece of jewellery in the water and leave to soak for five minutes
- Remove the piece and lay it on a soft cloth
- Clean any crevices with a soft toothbrush
- Rinse and dry with a soft cloth
And To Clean Silver Sterling:
- Mix baking soda with a dash of washing up liquid and warm water to create a paste
- Rub the silver jewellery gently with the paste
- Briefly place the piece in clean water to remove the soap
- Once it’s rinsed, dab the jewellery to draw out any water from between the gemstones
- Finally, dab it with a soft towel and leave the piece to air dry
Once Your Pieces Are Dry, Immediately Store Them Back In Your Jewellery Box.
Alternatively, you can invest in a specific jewellery cleaner. However, it isn’t necessary when washing up liquid works so well.
How To Store Your Handmade Jewellery
You should always store your jewellery in a fabric-lined jewellery box to keep it safe between each wear. A compartmentalised box is best so that you can separate your pieces to prevent tarnishing.
Because gold is softer than silver you should keep the two metals separate. Otherwise, your silver pieces may scratch the gold ones – even a gold vermeil ring is vulnerable to silver
You can store the most precious pieces of handmade jewellery within individual jewellery boxes too. This helps avoid any tarnish taking place and prevents your pieces from getting tangled up.
Essential Tips For Jewellery Care
For women in a rush, the team from our handmade jewellery store recommend the following quick jewellery care tips:
- Always put your jewellery on after clothing yourself, to prevent tugging and damaging the pieces.
- Furthermore, you should apply any body lotions, make-up, perfumes, and other sprays prior to putting your jewellery. If you wear such products, you should give your handmade jewellery a wipe after taking it off at night.
- Never sleep in your jewellery. Store it safely overnight.
- Always remove your handmade jewellery when doing the dishes, swimming, or when exercising. Especially your favourite gold vermeil ring!
- Keep an eye open for telltale signs of damage on your pieces. Any exposed string or wire is a sign that your jewellery may fall apart. By all means necessary, avoid your jewellery snapping whilst you are wearing it as you may lose some of the jewels and beads. Plus, the repair fee will be significantly higher.
- And, one of our number one jewellery care tips is: always be extra gentle with cleaning! And remember that the purer your piece of gold is, the softer it will be. This puts it at a higher risk of damage.
And now you know exactly how to care for your handmade jewellery, you can head online to Jewel Tree London to find your next piece!