PTSD stands for post-traumatic stress disorder, which causes the individual to have flashbacks, and intrusive thoughts related to the traumatic event. It affects the behavior of the individual, which causes them to behave against the norms in their daily life. Women are at a higher risk of suffering from mental health. Individuals exhibiting signs of PTSD should seek professional attention to prevent further complications that can affect their quality of life.
Symptoms of PTSD
People exhibiting the following PTSD symptoms should consult a competent and reliable psychiatrist for early diagnosis and timely treatment; the signs are:
- The patient relives the traumatic event by having hallucinations, flashbacks, and nightmares.
- The individual remains alert, which causes fits of rage, irritability, and sleeping problems.
- The individual social interaction is due to intrusive thoughts that cause guilt.
- Children who have been through traumatic events show a delay in motor skills and speech.
Common Causes of PTSD
The common causes of PTSD are:
- Sexual and Physical assault can affect the individual ability to cope with the trauma. The individual has been through trauma and social labeling causes an individual to struggle to come back to normal. Unhealthy coping mechanisms and lack of support cause PTSD.
- Individuals who have been through a natural disaster are more likely to have memories. It is essential to seek support and talk about the feeling, or it can cause mental health problems, such as PTSD.
- People in war are more likely to suffer from PTSD. Also, losing a loved one can affect mental health. Thus, it is essential to find a healthy way to cope with grief.
The risk factors that can cause PTSD are:
- Individuals with a history of anxiety and depression should seek medical attention. It is necessary to understand the cause of the mental illness, or it can cause further complications, such as PTSD.
- Substance abuse allows the person to forget about the problems. However, it increases the risk of accidents, which can cause PTSD.
- Individuals who have been through childhood abuse have a poor connection with their primary caregivers. The person does not realize that suppressing emotions and feelings can cause PTSD and related problems.
The preventative measures that can help reduce the probability of suffering from PTSD are:
- People who have been through a traumatic event should be open about their feelings with close friends and family members. Support helps the person cope with the pain associated with the traumatic event.
- Managing stress and anxiety helps reduce the severity of the condition. Hence, people who feel they have no control due to past experience should learn relaxation techniques. Deep breathing and PMR allow the person to feel in control. Furthermore, it helps to manage the physiological response of stress causing deterioration of mental health.
- A disciplined life helps the individual focus on other activities. Diversion enables the person to forget about their traumatic experiences and enhances their quality of life. Therefore, exercising and eating healthy foods can help reduce the probability of mental health problems and increase productivity.
PTSD treatment includes medication and therapies to improve health and overall functioning. You can find PTSD treament at fitcyhealth.com